assalamu'alaikum wrt wbt.
this cake is definitely lemony. creamy. and dreamy :)
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt (heaping)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (which was about 1 lemon for me)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- zest of two lemons
- 8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease or spray a 9" springform pan with vegetable spray. <-- i use pie plate as my springform pan is deformed :(
- Make the filling -- In a large bowl or bowl of a standmixer, beat the cream cheese on medium-high to high speed for about 5 minutes, until smooth and creamy.
- Add confectioners' sugar and beat for another 2 to 3 minutes. Add egg and beat until completely combined, about 1 minute. Add butter, both extracts and lemon zest. Beat until completely combined, about 1 minute. Set aside.
- Make the cake -- In large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Whisk in melted butter, eggs, lemon juice, vanilla extract and lemon zest until combined. Do not overmix.
- Pour batter evenly into springform pan. Carefully pour filling mixture evenly over the cake batter to within about 1/2 inch of the edge of the pan. (The filling should cover all but the outer 1/2 inch, at which point the cake batter will be visible.)
- Bake for about 35 to 40 minutes, or until the cake has puffed up and toothpick inserted near edge of cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully remove springform sides and allow to cool on rack for 1 hour. Transfer to refrigerator and chill completely before serving.
- Serve chilled, with a little sprinkling of confectioners' sugar.