assalamu'alaikum wrm wbt
i was torn between taking leave or not to take leave
in the end, i decided to bake this cake and go to work
the cake is for usrah group. insyaallah.
i love simple unpretentious cake
this is one of its kind :)
adapted from joythebaker & lauren chattman's cake book
- 2Tbs butter
- 1/4cup brown sugar
- 1cup strawberries, sliced
- 1 3/4cup flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2tsp baking soda
- 1/2tsp cardamom
- 1/4tsp salt
- 3/4cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2tsp vanilla
- 1/2cup butter
- 3/4cup sugar
- preheat oven to 175C. grease and flour 9inch round pan or 8inch square pan.
- melt 2Tbs butter and pour into baking pan. make sure the butter is evenly distributed. sprinkle 1/4cup brown sugar into the melted butter in the cake pan. sprinkle strawberry slices over the butter and sugar in a single layer. set aside.
- in a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cardamom. set aside.
- in another small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs and vanilla.
- in the bowl of an electric stand mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar on medium speed until slightly pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- pour flour-buttermilk-flour-buttermilk-flour in alternate mode, into the mixer. mix until combined.
- carefully spoon batter over the strawberries and spread evenly with a spatula. bake for about 35-40 minutes.
- let cake rest for 10 minutes before running a knife around the edge of the cake and inverting the cake onto a cake plate. serve warm.
not too sweet, very aromatic, very soft and moist.
i must say, you can never go wrong with buttermilk ;)