assalamu'alaikum wrm wbt
this cake is made for monthly departmental meeting
the texture is different from normal sugee cake..
a bit crunchy, due to ground almonds.
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 wide strips orange zest, plus 1 tablespoon finely grated zest
- 3/4 cup semolina flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds, finely ground in a food processor
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, plus 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup Greek yogurt (full-fat), plus more for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch round cake pan and line with parchment paper; butter paper. In a small saucepan, combine 2/3 cup sugar, water, and orange-zest strips. Bring to a simmer over medium-high; cook until sugar has dissolved, about 3 minutes. Set syrup aside to steep.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, almonds, grated orange zest, baking powder, and salt. In another large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and remaining sugar until light and creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. With mixer on low, alternately beat in flour mixture and yogurt, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan; bake until cake is golden and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 50 to 55 minutes. Let cool in pan 10 minutes, then invert onto a rimmed serving plate. Using a fork, poke shallow holes (about 15) into top of cake. Pour half the syrup over cake; garnish with orange-zest strips from syrup. Let cool completely. Serve with yogurt and remaining syrup.