assalamu'alaikum wrm wbt,
when i saw this recipe in taste of beirut
i can feel the goodness to eat it for breakfast
since kiddos are not so adventurous with morning eats
(typical genetically-malay kids i must say -
its either nasi lemak or nasi goreng or roti bakar or roti canai)
i made it for friends in the office..
naturally, quiche is "eggy"
and i had to halve the cheese - no stock :(
so.. some like it but..
some can stomach only "cubit-cubitan"
me? i gobbled it like nobody's business :p
alhamdulillah.. ramai yg kenyang :)
|makan dengan chilli sauce ye.. bukan cherry :p|
source: taste of beirut
- 2 cups of flour, dash of salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter (4 ounces or 125 g.)
- 1 tbsp of whipping cream or milk or more as needed
- 1/2 of a large cauliflower
- 3/4 cup of shreds of prosciutto or ham <-- i use sausages
- 6 eggs plus 2 egg whites
- 2 cups of whipping cream or 1 cup of cream and 1 cup of milk
- 1 cup of shredded Swiss cheese <-- i use cheddar but only 1/2cup :|
- 1/2 cup of grated parmesan
- 1 1/2 tbsp of grainy mustard
- Spices: 1/4 tsp of white pepper, 1/4 tsp of nutmeg, 1 1/2 tsp of paprika, 1/4 tsp of black pepper
To make the crust:
- Place the flour and salt in the bowl of a food processor; mix to combine well. Add the butter, and pulse until the mixture looks sandy. Add the egg and mix, adding the tablespoon of cream or milk through the feed tube. As soon as the pastry holds together, stop the machine and transfer onto a piece of wax paper; gather the dough into a bowl, wrap and place in the fridge for one hour or overnight.
- When ready, bring to room temperature. Roll out on a large piece of wax paper. Flip onto a greased and floured pie plate. Prick all over with a fork, cover with a piece of foil and a mound of beans and bake in a preheated 350F oven for 15 minutes or so until the pastry is dry and almost completely baked.
- Steam the cauliflower (or boil in salted water) until tender. Drain well and cool then cut into small florets and chunks to fit the pie plate.
- Place the prosciutto shreds all over the crust then cover with the cauliflower pieces.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs then pour the cream (or cream and milk), then cheese, then add the spices and mix well to combine.
- Pour the custard over the cauliflower and bake in a preheated oven at 350F till puffy and golden. Serve.
- If desired, you can brush the crust with a bit of beaten egg after baking it first for ten minutes, then bake it again for 5 or so; the egg will help keep the crust flaky and will give it a nice sheen. <-- i did this.