ok. you may ROFL
my friend just did
i am just plain hopeless
& everything that calls for DECO!
i made this cake
a day after my son's 4th birthday
and i sliced & tasted it before he sees the complete cake
what kind of mother am i??
pretty selfish one huh?
i made it just because he wanted me to bake a cake
and now, whose gonna finish it up??
(the birthday boy is not really into cakes!)
i just couldnt stomach a cake anymore..
chocolate cake somemore!
now. what happened to the chocolate lover?
chocolate seems not comforting anymore :(
the recipe is from my baking encyclopedia:
BAKING by MARTHA DAY
- 4oz unsalted butter (i use salted butter <-- much cheaper :p)
- 4oz plain flour
- 2oz cocoa powder
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1/8tsp salt (i reduce to just a pinch)
- 8oz caster sugar (i reduce to 7oz <-- not much different though)
- 2tsp vanilla essence
- preheat oven to 180C/350F
- line 3, 8inch round tins with greaseproof paper & grease & dust evenly with flour <-- i use 1 9inch round tins (the only round tin i have)
- melt butter oven low heat <-- i melt it in microwave for 1min
- sift dry ingredients together 3times & set aside
- place eggs & sugar in double boiler. beat with electric mixer. careful not to cook the egg. we just want the mixture to be hot. not cooked. when the water is boiled, just switch off the flame. beat until the mixture doubles in volume.
- add vanilla to the mixture. beat till combined.
- sift dry ingredients in 3batches, folding carefully after each addition <-- this is where i fail i suppose!
- add butter & fold carefully
- divide the mixture between the tins and bake 25mins <-- since i use 9inch pan, i increase the baking time to 35mins
- transfer to rack to cool
- 8oz whipping cream
- 8oz chocolate -- finely chopped
- stir both cream & chocolate over low heat until the chocolate melted
- cool in refrigerator for 1hour (i covered the bowl with plastic & keep in fridge overnight)
- whisk the cool mixture to spreading consistency
- slice the cake & spread the icing in between (if you use 3cake tins then just spread the icing over each layer).
- spread the remaining icing over the top & sides of the cake.
- decorate as your creativity flows (which i have none!)
isit just me not feeling well
or isit really the cake doesnt taste that good?
its just OK.
not so dry, not so wet.
not so buttery, not so dense.
maybe i should change the name to moderate chocolate sandwich?
or maybe i should've use expensive cocoa powder??
after a day in the fridge.. it tasted better.. & denser
not so chocolate-y.. not so sweet..
or isit because i had too much of lemon bars?